About 40,000 hematopoietic stem cell transplantations are performed annually in the world. In 57% of cases, own (autologous) stem cells are used, and in 43% of cases, donor (allogenic) stem cells are used.
Cell therapy is mainly used in combination with other drugs or surgery. However, there are diseases in which the transplantation of hematopoietic stem cells of the bone marrow or cord blood is the main method of treatment.
- Severe forms of congenital immunodeficiency: Nijmegen Breakage Syndrome,Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome, chronic granulomatous disease and others.
When a defective immune system does not protect a baby from infections, only a transplantation of a healthy immune system from a donor can save a child.
- Congenital metabolic diseases in which vital enzymes are not synthesized.
At with some of them, for example, Hurler syndrome, Sanfillipo, Krabbe disease, the use of compatible donor umbilical cord blood gives a better chance of recovery than the introduction of bone marrow.
- Congenital disorders of hematopoiesis – aplastic anemia.
Cord blood stem cells are especially important for the treatment of sickle cell anemia, which is common in African countries.
- Heavy radiation exposure.
Transplantation of hematopoietic stem cells of the bone marrow or umbilical cord blood can restore a person.
Diseases that are treated with a combination of drugs with stem cells:
- Wide range of blood disorders
- Myocardial infarction
- Liver cirrhosis
- About 100 more diseases
Biotechnologies and biopreparations
Among the means of modern medicine, biotechnology has taken the same integral position as the pharmaceutical industry or surgical instruments. The assumption that the future belongs to cell technology is confirmed by the fact that pharmaceutical corporations have been actively investing in stem cell-based drug development over the past decade:
- Many stem cellsproducts are brought to the market:
Prochymal, containing bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells, as well as Hemocord, NiCord, Allocord, Ducord based on cord blood cells
- Cryobank of the Institute of Cell Therapy has developed products Angiostem and Pancrostem on the basis of cord blood stem cells, approved by the Ministry of Health of Ukraine